Sunday 10 August 2014

The Image Board Works!

That cork board for pinning images has been really worthwhile.

Since last weekend additional pictures have been added - bearing in mind the senses I know what cologne my hero wears and there's a picture of the bottle on the board now.

I also didn't have a title I was happy with when I  bought it, but three days later the new title jumped into my conscious, and a quick check on existing book titles on Amazon didn't show a book with that exact title. It also fitted the plot perfectly.

Sadly it will be a few months before I can reveal the new title, as my first three chapters and synopsis have gone off for submitting to the judge.

The first three chapters went through intense rewriting, and I needed to take bits of chapter 4 and make them part of chapter 3, which in turn created a better, but new, Chapter 3 ending. Then it was minor tinkering, changing a word here, a sentence there, or cutting a complete paragraph.

No doubt by the time I finish the complete first draft there will be more ideas I need to include early on, but I'm going to get on with it while my brain is co-operating.

I will certainly be carrying on using the image board with my other stories in future too, as they just made the connections between characters and ideas easier to include or discard.

Also I've realised that for me, writing a little and often soon builds up, and may actually work better for my sometimes hectic family life...

Working hard...






Image courtesy of supakitmod/ http://freedigitalphotos.net





8 comments:

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Glad the board is working so well, Carol - it's a great idea. Think I'd also prefer writing a little and often as I can't stick at it for too long.

Keith Havers said...

Glad it worked, Carol. Good luck with the comp.

Maxi said...

Glad it's working and good idea about doing a little and often. Amazing how it can build up, and you avoid the 'I haven't written anything for ages' guilt. Wins all around!

Carolb said...

I didn't realise how helpful it would be, Rosemary. But I'm glad I tried it as it's been so beneficial, and worth continuing with. :)

Sometimes I lose track of time when I'm writing and then I'm tired. Shorter sessions seem to be less tiring.

Carolb said...

Thanks, Keith. And good luck with your entry in the other competition. :)

Carolb said...

It may just be that I'm getting the time and quiet to do shorter sessions, Maxi, but it does avoid the guilt thing too. :)

Patsy said...

If it's working it's obviously the right method for you.

Carolb said...

Yes, Patsy, it does seem to be an effective method for me. :)